Stopped by the gardening store today

I finally found a store that carries plastic seed starter trays. I picked a few of them up just in case I won't be able to find them again next year. I also picked up a bunch of heirloom seeds. I couldn't find heirloom corn to save my life but I did find some blue "decorative" corn that looks promising. I also found some scarlet runner beans. I've already got the squash covered but I went ahead and picked up a few more packets of various varieties, anyway. So it looks like I'll be planting some blue corn to start everything out. The scarlet runners will go in after the corn gets off to a good start. I'm still trying to decide what route I want to go with the squash. I'm leaning towards butternut. That's just for the three sisters garden. I think I have room for two plots.

The planters are pretty well planned out but I'm seriously considering doubling the volume of my planters. I just don't think that 6 inches of soil is enough for a lot of vegetables to really thrive. I've seen a lot of people's square foot garden planters recently and they all seem to be at least a foot tall. Maybe I'll just use what I've got for another year and just be picky about what I plant in the planters. If the three sisters garden doesn't work out very well this year then I'll just go back to using it as my conventional garden plot.

My sunchokes have been in for a week or two. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Everything I've read says that they're extremely low maintenance and heavy producers. We'll see if they live up to the hype. My second year hops plant has some nice shoots growing. Next year I think I'm going to split it up. I still need to put my new rhizomes in. I just need to wait another couple of weeks. We'll see how they hold up in the fridge. I need to build a trellis for them. I've got some nice seed potatoes sprouting eyes everywhere down in the basement. Hopefully they end up producing nicely. I also want to build a composter from a 55 gallon drum. My compost pile works but it's just way too slow and I end up with a lot of crap in there that doesn't break down fast enough. I'm looking forward to the garden this year. I'm already trying to think of different ways to expand for next year's garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Self Defense Basics

So I started smoking again

Where to buy gold jewelry